[lbo-talk] re: Proyect on Nathan Newman and Reconstruction

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 19 11:47:26 PST 2004

Todd Archer wrote:

>Doug said:
>
>"As Angela M used to say, it's all about drawing lines, and how important or
>interesting is that, really?"
>
>Mmmm, so long as those lines can be drawn thick or thin or with
>spaces in between to allow some movement, it can be important and
>even interesting.

The line-drawers usually like them fine and bright, with no spaces.

There's no question that politics is about defining enemies as well as friends. But some people, whether they formally belong to sects or not, show as much interest in writing out forces that are more or less on their side. I don't know what Proyect, for example, hopes to accomplish by denoucning me and Scott McLemee for having "renounced" or "moved away from" Marxism, as if Marxism were some easily definable position, like belief in the Virgin Birth.

Doug