[lbo-talk] Deconstructing Christian Republican Cults (was Proyecton Nathan Newman and Reconstruction )

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Fri Nov 19 13:38:08 PST 2004

Hi,

Much of this discussion is so totally disconnected from actual sociological research into conservative Christian evangelicals that it might as well be a right-wing parody of deranged left wing intellectualism.

People in conservative Christian evangelical or fundamentalist social and political movements are not in "cults."

The primary reference book for progressives using sociology to look at the Christian Right is:

Diamond, Sara. 1995. Roads to Dominion: Right-Wing Movements and Political Power in the United States. New York: Guilford Press.

The current popular explanation of competing worldviews is:

Lakoff, George. [1996] 2002. Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think. 2nd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago.

An excellent history by a moderate is:

Marsden, George M. 1982. Fundamentalism and American Culture: The Shaping of Twentieth Century Evangelicalism, 1870-1925. New York: Oxford University Press.

-Chip "I do this for a living" Berlet