[lbo-talk] NYT: "Negotiators Add Abortion Clause to Spending Bill"

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Sat Nov 20 08:42:51 PST 2004

On Nov 20, 2004, at 7:23 AM, B. wrote:

> Yoshie recently voiced the idea-which I disagree
> with--that conservatives would never REALLY ban
> abortion because it's too useful otherwise. They could
> still make use of it if it was banned, however, just
> as Dems get use out of it though it is currently
> legal. Things like this seem to indicate they're more
> than willing to ban it.

My theory, which is probably just wishful thinking, is that the anti-abortion people don't have many more, if any, votes they can bring out of the woodwork by actually passing legislation, but if they try to actually attack abortion rights, and push the other "values" stuff, it will bring out a lot of the apathetic folks on the other side who sat out this election, but will be angry enough to get into action when they see the Right actually taking their rights away.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ "Simply by being human we do not have a common bond. For all we share with all other humans is the same thing we share with all other animals -- the ability to feel pain." -- Richard Rorty