[lbo-talk] Re: Political Cartography

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 19:33:55 PST 2004

> And I think I disagree with you that "pessimism of
> the mind" is all that
> easy to arrive at. As illustrated on this list,
> pessimism of the
> intellect seems mostly to boil down to a vulgar
> empricism, expressing
> itself in ranting and raving against people as
> stupid, immoral,
> hopeless, etc. A grounded pessimism has to be based
> on the assumption
> that people are rational.

You think that is my problem? I think not. It is quite rational not to be a radical. It will only get you in trouble. Witness moi, for starters. I can say this in fancy language talking about collective action problems and n-person prisoner's dilemmas, but what I am asking for is some rational reason to think that that we are going someplace good.

jks

There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief, "There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief. Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth, None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke, "There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke. But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate, So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl, Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.