[lbo-talk] Re: Political Cartography - King Lear

Albert Sonntag berto55 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 20 19:57:45 PST 2004

jks writes:

> Change is happening all
> the time. What might be done will emerge in time,
> in the light of changing
> circumstances.

>Yes, as it says in King Lear, Ripeness is all. But
look what happened in that story. Change is happening. It is not always improvement. I don't counsel despair. But "just wait till next year" gets thin even for a Cubs fan. jks

I don't want to go off too far on a tangent here, but shortly after Edgar says that to his father, 'we must endure our going hence even as our coming hither, ripeness is all,' he wins his battle against Edmund, the evil sisters are dead, and everything seems to point to better times. It's not really an 'unhappy ending,' but for the death of the old foolish king and his belligerent daughter Cordelia.

Albert R. Sonntag berto55 at earthlink.net