[lbo-talk] Re: Political Cartography

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sun Nov 21 10:09:14 PST 2004

> The rhetoric of the left has to be (it's not really a matter of choice)
the rhetoric of solidarity, not of moral values. To give up the rhetoric of solidarity for some supposedly more persuasive rhetoric (which won't work anyhow) is to give up, period.

"Moral values" is a _mere_ name, and it is a name for something vicious: anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-foreigners, anti-black.

A political party serving the ruling class needs false rhetoric; a political movement serving working people and opposing imperialism can't use empty labels or slogans.

Carrol

Da, da, Comrade! The Party thanks you for correcting our wayward members' obvious errors. Heaven knows how those bourgeois puppets Gandhi and King misled the masses of the previous century into ineffectual wild-goose chases with their talk about "morality"! We defenders of proletarian science, who know that "solidarity" is always only a matter of scientific description and proper left leadership skills, and in fact has no connection to capitalist ruses like "ethics" and "democracy," have, of course, been the ones to truly transform the world!

Sincerely, B. Yeltsin, CPfUSSR