[lbo-talk] Excessive Lawsuits, Gay Rights, Tort Reform, and the Incredibles

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 10:52:09 PST 2004

--- james at communistbanker.com wrote:

> When some one suffers injury and the way is open for
> them to sue, good
> luck to them. Legal recourse is, as Michael
> suggests, a form of
> 'self-defence'. And I too am suspicious of the tort
> reform agenda.
>
> But the ideas that Michael calls 'pie in the sky'
> are just sound
> common sense. Even the most blinkered rational
> choice economist
> should see that a minimal level of public insurance
> makes good
> financial sense when measured against the costs of
> law suits. It's
> a desparate ideological ploy to oppose this.
>
> So why are you being so defensive about this agenda?
> The danger that
> I see is that people get so caught up in opposing
> right wing plots
> and defending fairly marginal advantages that the
> agenda that is
> really worth fighting for gets lost in a mire of
> pragmatism.
>
> The ill-effects of litigation are really
> significant. They stifle
> innovation and warp professionalism. They are a
> drain on society's
> resources. They formalise human relations. The
> fact that some poor
> people get justified recompense through law is no
> reason to ignore
> all of this. Just because the right supports tort
> reform is no
> reason for the left to support the status quo. The
> mainstream agenda
> is there to be challenged.
>
> James Greenstein

Justin is missing the even larger context.
> . . . civilized
> societies should provide resources in relation to
> need, not in relation
> to another's negligence. . . . The political
motivation for tort reform, the
> political orientation
> of the lawyers, and indeed Justin's profession, are
> irrelevant to the
> wider question of how best to deal with the
> questions of punishing
> the negligent and compensating victims.

I wasn't addressing the wider question of dealing with the costs of accidents -- just whether "excessive litigation" talk is part of a right wing agenda, which it is. I agree that med mal suits and punitive daamges are no substitute for national health.

My torts prof nearly fell over when, discussing who should bear the cost of accidents he listed: (1) the victim or the (2) perpertrator, and I said, (3) In most countries it's society at large through national health.

Nonetheless, we ain't got national health and we do got, still, to some degree, the right to recover damages. We should defend it while arguing for national health. Which we are not going to get -- not even when the boomers start dying, literally, in the streets. Sorry, Cholly. You should have saved $5 million while you were young. Or $10 million, or whatever.

Btw, in case it wasn't quite clear, I have no material interest in opposing tort reform. Maybe the reverse. I don't practice that sort of law in the first place and in the second place I am a black hat lawyer who works for corporations.