[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Why the World Needs a Weaker Dollar]

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Nov 21 10:57:18 PST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Doug Henwood wrote:

> double bluff wrote:
>
> >Anyway, I find quite ironic that now US is going to be pushed to
> >"adjust" its economy in the same self-distructing way that it
> >imposed to much of the "developing" world in the last decades...
>
> You really think that? Who's gonna make us?

I don't get something about this economic arrangement: what's to stop China and Japan from gradually shifting their assets from U. S. bonds to other assets (say, euro-bonds)? Couldn't they at least use the threat of this for political and economic leverage? What's the U. S. gonna do, invade China and force them to buy back Treasury bonds?

Miles