[lbo-talk] Excessive Lawsuits, Gay Rights, Tort Reform,

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sun Nov 21 21:36:23 PST 2004

>But I am absolutely against the litigeousness that sqanders resources,
fails to meet victim's needs in an adequate or consistent way, and that drives bad practices because professionals try to avoid litigation rather than getting on with doing their jobs as well as they can. It's all so very neo-liberal - 'there's a contract between the service provider and the service user. If the service user suffers, then the courts should arbitrate and put a price tag on that suffering.'

>There is a simple pragmatic issue at the heart of this: we
need to hold professionals and businesses to account for their actions, and we need to ensure that people who suffer misfortunes are provided with the money to enjoy as full a life as possible. Trying to turn this into a question of monetary fairness is surreal, especially for anyone on the left.

Crap and more crap. In your first paragraph, you're tilting at non-existent windmills. No professionals avoid good practice for fear of being sued. Just the opposite. What are you trying to say? That cancer would be cured by now, if only we unshackled the free market? Bullshit.

And refusing to put a price tag on these things, because someday we'll get beyond pricetags? That's doing the right's work for it. Now I know why you call yourself a communist banker. The worst of both worlds...