[lbo-talk] Re: Political Cartography

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Mon Nov 22 08:11:59 PST 2004

On Nov 21, 2004, at 1:21 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I suspect that "good oldfashioned American populism" has a lot to do
> with the right turn in Tom Frank's Kansas. It had a substantial
> anti-urban, anti-cosmoplitan strain mixed in with the better stuff.

Certainly we all know by now that the late 19th century populist movement had its defects, including not a little racism, etc., but hopefully we could produce a populist movement today which, while not perfect, would be cleansed of the most repulsive of those defects.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions, has always been the systematic organization of hatreds. (Henry Adams, "The Education of Henry Adams")