[lbo-talk] more on Fallujah

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 13:16:18 PST 2004

Doug:

...there's still Ramadi & Mosul to wreck.

========

Sad but true but I was thinking of Fallujah's significance as the "city of mosques." I'm told it has a certain resonance for Iraqi Sunnis (perhaps for non Iraqi Sunnis as well).

Recall the concern expressed during the assault on Najaf about the possibility of destroying (or even lightly damaging) one mosque of great importance to the Shi'a.

No such concerns restrained American efforts this time. Perhaps Washington believes it can afford to marginalize - to, in a sense, 'Jim Crow-a-nize' the Sunni, who are a minority, in favor of some rough alliance with the Shi'a (or at least, Shi'a strivers who hope they can use non-military means to expel the Americans - a smile now, kill later plan).

So an entire city of famed mosques can be treated as an armaments playground because the victims are members of a group you want to isolate.

.d.