[lbo-talk] Re: Political Cartography

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 22 14:20:03 PST 2004

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org

These are all models in rather small fields. Can they be generalized to a whole society, or major parts of it? For example, could the entire agriculture and food processing industry, on which we depend for what we put in our mouths, be operated by control by "the people"? ********* It already is operated by workers. Capitalists don't work in the fields or the processing industries.

********** What would that look like, exactly? ******

Imagine a factory producing Velveeta which is controlled by the producers of the stuff. Let's say society decides that it no longer needs to consume Velveeta and that these workers would be better producing real cheddar cheese or closing down the factory altogether to add to the labour force which would in turn reduce the necessary part of the working day.

What changes would happen in the way this industry happens now?

Producing for use and need would be in stark constrast to just producing commodities for a market to hopefully soak up. A lot of labour time now goes in to advertising commodities to "stimulate" demand. Imagine what the world would be like without this kind of daily intrusion to your life.

Best, Mike B)

===== "Whenever morality is based on theology, whenever right is made dependent on divine authority, the most immoral, unjust, infamous things can be justified and established."

- Ludwig Feuerbach (1804-1872)

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal