[lbo-talk] Where Is Your Rage? (Interview with Michael Hardt)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 23 13:49:26 PST 2004

Michael Hardt asserts that "If one traces the transformations of activism in the U.S., ACT UP and Queer Nation were a real hinge, making demonstrations fun, making them funny, great slogans. The relationship between a demonstration and a party becomes quite confused" (Michael Hardt with Caleb Smith and Enrico Minardi, "The Collaborator and the Multitude: An Interview with Michael Hardt," The Minnesota Review 61-62, <http://www.theminnesotareview.org/ns61/hardt.htm>, 2004).

The most prominent slogans of ACT UP (the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power), however, were "WHERE IS YOUR RAGE?" and "SILENCE = DEATH" (see the photographs of big banners that read "WHERE IS YOUR RAGE?" and "SILENCE = DEATH" at <http://www.actupny.org/video/>).

Great slogans, though not at all funny. What motivated ACT UP activists was griefs over deaths of their friends and lovers and genocidal malice and indifference that the homophobic power elite manifested toward queers and other outcasts through pharmaceutical companies' profiteering and the federal government's slow, inadequate, and inappropriate responses to the AIDS crisis (e.g., in funding research, testing drugs, establishing prevention education, implementing needle exchanges, taking care of the sick and destitute, responding to same-sex activities and AIDS among the exploding prison population, etc.).

The relationship between joy and rage was also complex for Queer Nation activists. Queer Nation activists defiantly affirmed the courage of being an "alive and functioning Queer" at all in a world that wished queers dead as a revolutionary act and celebrated the joy of affirming their rage in public:

Don't be fooled, straight people own the world and the only reason you have been spared is you're smart, lucky, or a fighter. Straight people have a privilege that allows them to do whatever they please and fuck without fear. But not only do they live a life free of fear; they flaunt their freedom in my face. Their images are on my TV, in the magazine I bought, in the restaurant I want to eat in, and on the street where I live. I want there to be a moratorium on straight marriage, on babies, on public displays of affection among the opposite sex and media images that promote heterosexuality. Until I can enjoy the same freedom of movement and sexuality, as straights, their privilege must stop and it must be given over to me and my queer sisters and brothers.

Straight people will not do this voluntarily and so they must be forced into it. Straights must be frightened into it. Terrorized into it. Fear is the most powerful motivator. No one will give us what we deserve. Rights are not given they are taken, by force if necessary.

(_The Queer Nation Manifesto_, <http://5of5.info/virtualexile/manifesto.htm> and <http://www.jessanderson.org/doc/qnation.html>)</blockquote>

That's more Malcolm X than a carnival. And it's no wonder. Queer Nation activists were appropriating the words and means developed by the Black nationalist movement.

Yoshie