[lbo-talk] The Dumb Side of Happiness (Interview with Michael Hardt)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 16:25:59 PST 2004

> On Nov 23, 2004, at 5:00 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > jk jimi_ayler at yahoo.com, Tue Nov 23 13:51:57
> PST 2004:
> >> leftists are gloomy because of the injustice and
> reactionary
> >> expectations of a cowed populace in late
> "democratic" capitalism.
> >
> > Are leftists gloomier than rightists or centrists?
> I've yet to see
> > any empirical evidence that justifies the
> stereotype. >

I am speaking primarily of American Leftists, though I have seen the same phenomenon (to a lesser degree) in some instances in Europe. One need only turn the radio dial to KPFA to experience a sample of what I'm talking about. There are some good things there, but a lot of the broadcast is gloomy, PC and self-righteous. Much of the American Left's self-identity is based on being against, and the "slave" will to power that Nietzche talked about.

-Thomas

===== <<If God existed, Lou Proyect wouldn't >> Thomas Seay circa 2004