[lbo-talk] Repuvelicals

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 08:15:16 PST 2004

"Christianity, Inc." 22 November 2004

A writer called "Shock," self-described as Christian and a formerly conservative evangelical, offers an intriguing analysis of Christian conservative groupthink at The Daily Kos, a liberal political site: "In my opinion, the problem with the church today is what I'll call 'Christianity, Inc.' (I think others have used this term before, but I don't know who.) Corporate America has seen Christians as a lucrative demographic that is consistent enough in certain beliefs that 'formulaic' marketing can be effective (and here I'm not just talking about advertising, but marketing). I believe this trend first started in the mid- to late-80s and is responsible for a lot of the 'political' shifts we've seen in church attitudes today. In short (and to simplify it a bunch), I believe that marketers are responsible for creating 'Repuvelicals.'... http://dailykos.com/story/2004/11/22/123248/48

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling