[lbo-talk] The Democratic Party Successfully Legitimates the Bush Regime

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 24 10:52:51 PST 2004

>On Nov 24, 2004, at 12:51 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> So, what did the Democratic Party accomplish in the 2004 elections
>> exactly? Raised the perception that Bush "legitimately won" by 32%:
>> "Still, in a telling contrast with the 2000 election, 82 percent of
>> respondents said that Mr. Bush legitimately won on Nov. 2. Just before
>> Election Day, 50 percent of respondents said they considered Mr.
>> Bush's defeat of Al Gore in 2000 a legitimate victory" (Nagourney and
>> Elder, November 23, 2004)!
>
>Uh, excuse me, but those are two different elections. Comparing
>these percentages is really comparing apples and oranges.
>
>Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org

Al Gore won the popular vote in 2000, but, in 2004, regardless of how the recount goes in Ohio, John Kerry lost the popular vote by the 3.5 million vote margin, even though (or probably because) Gore faced a better organized challenge from the left than Kerry did.

The Democratic Party will turn to the right and lose worse in 2006, 2008, ad infinitum.

Yoshie