[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart in China

Jonathan Lassen jjlassen at chinastudygroup.org
Wed Nov 24 16:35:11 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

>> If 'communist party control' means that (very progressive) labor laws
>> are enforced, what's to be opposed?
>
> Does that mean there are few abuses of workers in China, because of the
> enforcement of those very progressive labor laws?

I was referring to the yet-to-be-established AFCTU-affiliated unions at Wal-Mart in China. China's labor laws are at least as ill-enforced as labor laws in the US. And the vast majority of workers in China, like those in the US, do not belong to unions.

> But would
> the recognition of a union at Wal-Mart China make any difference to the
> workers at all?

Probably, though its demonstration effect will probably make more difference.

JL