[lbo-talk] Red states and Blue states....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 25 00:09:34 PST 2004

from http://www.shaghaghi.net/

OK, I think I have it.

Red state voters voted on two key issues: terrorism, and gay marriage. Which is funny, since there have been no terrorist attacks in any red states, and there have been no gay marriages in any red states. Red state voters therefore seem mostly concerned with preventing terrorist attacks and gay marriages in blue states.

On the other hand, blue state voters seem to be voting on a lot of issues that primarily affect red state voters. Namely:

* The war -- it's the children of red state voters who are dying in Iraq, not blue state voters, for the most part.

* Taxes -- it's red state voters who are most negatively affected by tax cuts on the rich -- blue state voters tend to personally benefit from the Bush tax cuts. (I know I've personally pocketed a lot of dough from the Bush tax cuts -- and as of last Tuesday, I don't feel bad about it anymore. In fact, I think I'll go buy a new car.)

* Health care -- it's red state voters who are most likely to not have health insurance, not blue state voters.

* Abortion -- if states are allowed to outlaw abortion, it's red states that will do it. If the federal government outlaws abortion, it's red state voters who won't be able to afford to travel to Canada or Europe to get it done.

* Education -- blue state voters tend to have much better public schools and are more likely to send their kids to private schools anyway. Also I don't see any huge push to teach creationism in blue states.

* Fiscal responsibility and the survival of Social Security and Medicare -- it's red state voters who will suffer the most when Social Security and Medicare go belly up -- it was never going to affect me, or most other blue state voters.

On top of all that, a common refrain heard these days is that Democrats are viewed as patronizing and condescending towards red state voters -- that Democrats keep insisting that they know what's best for red state voters, and that red state voters resent that.

So be it. From here on out, blue state voters should simply stop caring about what happens to red state voters. Send your kids to fight and die in Iraq, carry a larger part of the tax burden, go without health insurance, get raped by Uncle Jimmy Bob and be required to carry the baby to term, give up on educating your kids to live in the modern world, and get all of your social services from your church. Further, stop sucking on the federal teat by taking more in federal tax dollars and subsidies than you pay in. You'll get exactly what you deserve, and we in the blue states will be just fine.

Beth A. Wampler, Pres. & Creative Director

AOR, Inc.

1345 S. Broadway

Denver, CO 80210

marketing strategy * advertising * graphic design

303.871-9700

www.thinkaor.com

"Another man's belief," said Thomas Jefferson, "neither picks my pocket nor breaks my bones."

===== "Whenever morality is based on theology, whenever right is made dependent on divine authority, the most immoral, unjust, infamous things can be justified and established."

- Ludwig Feuerbach (1804-1872)

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal