[lbo-talk] Re: The Democratic Party Successfully Legitimates

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Thu Nov 25 08:04:29 PST 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 7:11 PM, John Bizwas wrote:

> When will the Dems ever give up the 'go right' strategy?

I can easily envision such a thing. Bush's economic chickens from the first term come to roost in a severe downturn, the Iraq quagmire steadily worsens, the draft is started -- result: lots of angry people for a left candidate to appeal to.

However, the key to the Dems winning next time is to get a personally appealing candidate, for Pete's sake. Americans vote for the person, not the platform, especially for President. Democrats, however, seem to pay attention only to programs and planks. Fortunately, Bush is out of the running in 2008, and it might be rather hard for the GOP to come up with a candidate with his appeal (then again, maybe it might not be -- they seem to be able to come up with any number of charismatic doofuses).

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ "Simply by being human we do not have a common bond. For all we share with all other humans is the same thing we share with all other animals -- the ability to feel pain." -- Richard Rorty