[lbo-talk] Fantasies of Left Liberalism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 13:22:43 PST 2004

What are you talking about Carrol? Me, I'm a gloomy left liberal.

I rather do suspect, btw, that politics is an expression, not a simple one of, personality (itself a social product in part but not in whole), in the sense that people end up where they do depends on who they are and how they see themselves rather than on being persuaded of conclusions by reasons. But you agree with me on this point, having stated it forcefully yourself many times over the years. So why is it a fantasy? Or maybe you mean something else.

Obviously the truth value or appropriateness to the historical circumstances of politicalk principles are partly -- nmot whilly -- independent of the inner being of their advocates. That's true in the sense that, for example, national health is a good idea even if advocated by a souless bureaucrat for accounting reasons.

It's only partly true in the sense that some political principles are embodied for prctical purposes in the moral being of the advicates: Lincoln's character was integral to his vision of the Union, FDR's to the New Deal, Reagan's to the Reagan Revolution, and Bush II to the current state of affairs. One might also think of King and Malcolm.

jks