[lbo-talk] New Yorker's Jon Lee Anderson on de-Baathification

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Nov 25 21:36:52 PST 2004

[This article is long, but it is very good. It has lots of surprising details, a feel for the ambiguities, and no fat. It also supplies several interesting and plausible answers to questions I've never had answers for before, such as who was behind the assasination campaign against academics and professionals, and why rebels used to regularly lob mortars into Abu Ghraib.]

[Credit where credit is due dept: I never would have read it if Dwayne hadn't flagged it.]

[Lastly, if you have this issue at home and you're in the mood: the long article on the Le Monde affair by Adam Gopnick is also well worth reading.]

http://newyorker.com/fact/content/?041115fa_fact

Issue of November 15, 2004

THE NEW YORKER

OUT ON THE STREET

by JON LEE ANDERSON

The United States' de-Baathification program fuelled the insurgency.

Is it too late for Bush to change course?

http://newyorker.com/fact/content/?041115fa_fact

Michael