[lbo-talk] Coming Currency Shock

Eugene Vilensky evilensky at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 12:02:21 PST 2004

> If the U.S. "went under," it'd take down most of the world with it.
> And since so many countries depend on exports to the U.S., even a
> recession here would cause problems abroad. I'd say the likelihood of
> the U.S. going fully under is pretty slim.

Sort of related question: If the economy is "2/3 consumer spending," what would happen to employment and personal incomes if people suddenly started saving at rates similar to those of Western Europe instead of Shopping For America ? Is it reasonable to assume they would go down drastically? Is debt financed by foreign investment the only way to keep the game going?

-- Eugene Vilensky evilensky at gmail.com