[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 11, Issue 333 Message: 9

Ann_Li Ann_Z_Li at intelleng.com
Fri Nov 26 15:09:18 PST 2004

Hi Carol, I understand the issue of correct action on the issue of persuasion but it does seem to me that there are existing attempts to get at this rhetorical deficiency like perhaps Aune's book on Marxism and Rhetoric on which I'd like to hear your thoughts. Even liberal attempts like Norris et al's attempts to reframe the post 9/11 terrorism news coverage seem to address the persuasion problem in substantive ways in terms like frames and triggers that despite their positivist tone that yes, "aid the right", can at least address the need to not abandon methods for persuasive, rhetorical analysis that makes your issue of agreement/disagreement a prime ideological area for theories of critical discourse analysis. I don't know if we abandon or redefine our definitions of hegemony in that context. The left needs to "reframe" the tools to match the current mediated forms of rhetorical criticism in ways beyond silly and momentary polemic interventions like Jon Stewart's on Crossfire.

Ann

Message: 9 Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:12:59 -0600 From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> Subject: [lbo-talk] On the Limits of Rhetoric Re: lefty percentiles, or, why we lose? To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID: <41A7AA6B.DC9389CB at ilstu.edu> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

On the need for a left "rhetoric"

(I believe that term has been invoked in recent threads, along also with "narrative" as a form of rhetoric).

I believe the dictionary (or handbooks of composition) will list quite a few legitimate senses of the _word_ "rhetoric," and no one can fight against mere usage of a word.

But in this post I'm going to assume that in most, perhaps all, uses of the term (not just on this list but by, e.g., Kenneth Burke, Deirdre McCloskey, or Wayne Booth) its original senses still operate powerfully -- and all those original uses of the term (Aristotle, Cicero, Quintilian, Renaissance rhetoricians) make two assumptions: (a) that speaker (usually speaker, not writer) and listener (audience rather than readership) directly confront each other in a framework agreeable to both (e.g., a parliament) and (b) that there is _almost_ complete agreement on all the important issues between speaker and listener. The "almost" is of great importance, for the difference is of course the reason for speaking; but the "[nearly] complete agreement" is the context within which the persuasion proceeds. The whole of the art is directed to demonstrating that this large shared agreement dictates that the speaker's position on the small area of disagreement should prevail.

(This kind of rhetoric still exists today only in churches which put a great emphasis on sermonizing.)

Rhetoric is not only of little use to the left; attempts to develop a left rhetoric aid the right.

There are no "new ideas" here, incidentally. The ideas I'm opposing go back over two millenia. The ideas I'm proposing go back to the late 19th century (developed within the ranks of the German social democracy.)

The left (willy-nilly, incidentally, even when leftists think they are using a rhetoric) casts persuasive discourse under three headings officially, four in practice: theory, propaganda, agitation. The theory of all three is ill-developed (in part at least because of the freezing of leftist thought under the Third International), so there is plenty of room for fresh thought. Clearly factory gates can no longer be the favored locus of agitation, so it is particulary methods of agitation that needs most rethinking, but the deadend which leftist concern with rhetoric (as shown on this thread) constantly reaches is merely one indication of the need to carry on that fresh thought within the classical categories.

(The fourth is polemics -- for which there is very little theory to guide us, mostly because it was never recognized as a distinct genre of left writing and speaking, though it is one of the most often practiced.)

My contributions to lbo-talk are most frequently driven by concern over the utterly undeveloped theory of agitation in current left practice.

Carrol

P.S. These categories have nothing to do with "Leninism," though the most convenient source for a summary of 2d international thought on the subject is to be found in WITBD.