[lbo-talk] Is this PR or just PU

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Fri Nov 26 15:46:24 PST 2004

US grandmother deployed to Iraq

*A 72-year-old Oklahoma grandmother is preparing to become one of the oldest US military staff to go to Iraq. *

Lena Haddix, from Lawton, a military wife for nearly 30 years, says she volunteered for the Iraq mission.

"I wanted to do something for the country, because I was always left behind taking care of the children," Ms Haddix told the Associated Press.

Her five children, eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren all discouraged her but to no avail.

"I just see so many of the boys. They're like little kids. They keep telling me, 'I'm going over, ... I would just like to go over and be with them."

*'Vibrant individual'*

Ms Haddix will be working for the Department of Defense's Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) which operates shops selling goods to US military personnel on army bases.

The Exchange opened its first store in Iraq in April 2003 and Ms Haddix has already worked for them elsewhere.

Judd Anstey of the AAFES said Ms Haddix was an extraordinary character.

"She is a vibrant individual, one-of-a-kind. She has a commitment that runs from Oklahoma to Baghdad," he said.

Ms Haddix has just one medical test to pass before she is mobilised.

She is expected to arrive in Iraq, where AAFES have 30 shops, within a month.

"I'm sure there will be times when I'll be scared, but I'm not now," she said.