[lbo-talk] On the Limits of Rhetoric

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 27 11:07:50 PST 2004

Carrol wrote:
>But in this post I'm going to assume that in most, perhaps all, uses
>of the term (not just on this list but by, e.g., Kenneth Burke,
>Deirdre McCloskey, or Wayne Booth) its original senses still operate
>powerfully -- and all those original uses of the term (Aristotle,
>Cicero, Quintilian, Renaissance rhetoricians) make two assumptions:
>(a) that speaker (usually speaker, not writer) and listener
>(audience rather than readership) directly confront each other in a
>framework agreeable to both (e.g., a parliament) and (b) that there
>is _almost_ complete agreement on all the important issues between
>speaker and listener. The "almost" is of great importance, for the
>difference is of course the reason for speaking; but the "[nearly]
>complete agreement" is the context within which the persuasion
>proceeds. The whole of the art is directed to demonstrating that
>this large shared agreement dictates that the speaker's position on
>the small area of disagreement should prevail.

In other words, rhetoric is about narrowcasting, rather than broadcasting. Think about each rhetorical situation* first of all, and then present the ethos, pathos, and logos of your persuasion accordingly.

* <blockquote>Some elements of the rhetorical situation include:

1. Exigence: What happens or fails to happen? Why is one compelled to speak out? 2. Persons: Who is involved in the exigence and what roles do they play? 3. Relations: What are the relationships, especially the differences in power, between the persons involved? 4. Location: Where is the site of discourse? e.g. a podium, newspaper, web page, etc. 5. Speaker: Who is compelled to speak or write? 6. Audience: Who does the speaker address and why? 7. Method: How does the speaker choose to address the audience? 8. Institutions: What are the rules of the game surrounding/constraining numbers 1 through 7.

<http://rhetorica.net/kairos.htm></blockquote> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>