[lbo-talk] No Sharing

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 22:07:43 PST 2004

Hayekians don't have a problem with sharing. It's (total) planning that bothers them. The big hole in Hayek's case for capitalism (as opposed to markets) is his failure to provide any rationale for private ownership of productive assets. Subsequent Hayekians on the right have tried to fill the gap by expanding some hints H made about how entrepreneurship is necessary. But the link to private proprety is tenuous -- even if you think that entrepreneurs need material reward to think up and promote beneficial schemes, that doesn't mean they have to own anything -- they can just get paid more for performing this service.

jks