[lbo-talk] Altruism & Evolution?

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 29 14:00:52 PST 2004

joanna bujes wrote:
> Altruism only needs to be "explained" if you assume
that the world is an > aggregate of (self-serving) individuals.

> Big assumption.

ravi wrote: i do not know about economics, but at least in biology, its a very powerful assumption in terms of its utility. which suggests to me that the burden rests upon us to defend a more holistic model... no?

Don't workers have the right to be greedy? After all, they co:operatively create existing social wealth. This is not to discount Nature, of course. The point is to change bourgeois (hooray for me, screw you) mentality into class conscious praxis. Perhaps a little more indignation at having to trade a hand full of dimes for the social product of our labour would do the trick.

Best, Mike B)

===== "Whenever morality is based on theology, whenever right is made dependent on divine authority, the most immoral, unjust, infamous things can be justified and established."

- Ludwig Feuerbach (1804-1872)

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal