[lbo-talk] On the Limits of Rhetoric

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Nov 29 21:29:30 PST 2004

>>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>>
> I'm talking about a more mundane fact here. Anybody who writes
> anything doesn't invent the language she writes in

Sure they do. Language is constantly being rewritten, reimagined and reinvented by individual subjects -- usually, though, in bad or repressive ways (oppressive societies generate oppressive narratives, and crush/marginalize narratives which resist this). I'm all for historicizing, but one can't throw out the subjective moment in all cultural production. The subject is the doorway to utopia.

-- DRR