[lbo-talk] squatters action

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Nov 30 11:01:57 PST 2004

The Chronicle HeraldÝ-ÝNov 28 Activists demanding housing for homeless people sit on the roof of the former Dartmouth Heritage Museum on Saturday. Police cleared and arrested a number of the protesters who were prepared to stay in the empty building.

"We're here today to send a clear message: As long as buildings stay abandoned in this city while people sleep on the streets, we will squat,"

The protesters cheered as they unveiled large white signs: Eviction is Not the Answer, Turn Up the Heat and Give It or Guard It: Build Housing Now. They also chanted: "Today is the day squatters will have their picnic," before entering the front door of the building.

Click below for full story...

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004/11/28/f232.raw.html

Homeless demo ends in confrontation with cops Ý CanoeÝ-ÝNov 28 HALIFAX -- Police dragged screaming protesters from an abandoned building near Halifax yesterday as nine people were arrested during a demonstration against homelessness. About 40 demonstrators boarded a bus in downtown Halifax around noon and rode to an abandoned library in nearby Dartmouth, N.S.

Click below for full story...

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2004/11/28/738089.html

Ý Oregon Daily EmeraldÝ-ÝNov 29

The U.S. is the richest nation in the world, yet is doing less to help its homeless citizens than over 150 other countries.

Click below for full opinion...

http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/11/29/41aaebbf95269