[lbo-talk] Challenge for leftists of all stripes

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Tue Nov 30 13:36:13 PST 2004

On Nov 30, 2004, at 2:20 PM, Nathan Newman wrote:

> But the free speech claims on behalf of corporations has become
> especially
> pernicious and in an information age, a lot of their activity has free
> speech implications, so it can allow them to escape a lot of government
> regulation potentially.

Has there been any attempt to narrow the range of corporations' free speech claims by arguing that they are much more powerful and richer, and thus can buy more "speech," than actual persons, for which the First Amendment was presumably written? Or is that too legally naive an approach?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ "Simply by being human we do not have a common bond. For all we share with all other humans is the same thing we share with all other animals -- the ability to feel pain." -- Richard Rorty