[lbo-talk] The AFL-CIO and its internal debate

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 18:24:52 PST 2004

http://www.cpusa.org/article/articleview/607/1/27/

The Debates in Labor: Danger or Historic Opportunity by Scott Marshall, CPUSA Vice Chair and Chair, CPUSA Labor Commission

I want to thank the Labor Commission and the many individual trade union comrades who wrote or called me. Their invaluable input helped to make this a collective report.

Despite our best efforts, and the best efforts of a vast labor-led all people's coalition, Bush and the most reactionary, right wing sections of US capitalism won the 2004 elections. Objectively, the working class and the labor movement suffered an enormous setback. We have to face the reality and the gravity of the situation. Yet we have to face it with courage, boldness and a fighting attitude!

Over a year ago, in another report to the National Board, then meeting in Chicago, we noted that an intense debate was beginning to emerge in the leadership of the trade union movement. The debate centers on how best to move the labor movement forward to meet the challenges of declining numbers and declining economic and political clout.

[...]