[lbo-talk] What experiments measure...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 2 09:32:38 PDT 2004

joanna bujes wrote:

> [clip]
>
> Remind you of anything?

Yes and no. Any one thing can and does remind me of an indefinitely long list of things.

The particular thing here first of all reminds me of Susanne Langer, Philosophy in a New Key, the work in which I first came across references to Kohler's experiments. Her interest lay in the context in which the ape could and the context in which the ape could not perceive the relationship of stick to bananas. And that book reminds me of Cassirer and Whitehead, which in turn reminds me of refugee scholars in the u.s. in the 1930s which reminds me of _The Folklore of Capitalism_ (author's name not remembered -- he was in the Justice Dept. under Roosevelt -- Thurman Arnold?). And my difficulty remembering Arnold's (?) name reminds me of the little twitch in the third finger of my right hand which I have felt about half a dozen times since the last day in February. And that reminds me that beginning this coming Tuesday, in preparation for dental surgery a week from then, I will have to stop taking Plavix, and beginning next Sunday I'll have to stop taking aspirin for two days, which raises the question of what are the chances of feeling that little twitch. I went to the Emergency Room the first three times I felt it, but all that leads to is about a $1k of tests, which end up saying, yes, it was a TIA. Which reminds me of google because I never quite caught the nurse's expansion of TIA so I had to look it up on the web, which reminds me that when I went to a reading of a play the other night I didn't put in my hearing aids until I was on the way, and it turned out that I had too much wax in my ears for them to work, so I hardly heard a fucking word of the play.

But you get the point about using a sort of Rorshach (sp?) test on a mailing list.

What does it remind you of?

Carrol