[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 14:05:13 PDT 2004

> As for cultural devolution, I believe I can amply demonstrate catastrophic
> decline in a single generation by contrasting that giant of American
comedy
> Bob Elliot with his seriously unfunny son Chris.
>
> Carl

I'm a big Bob & Ray fan (and recently received a wonderful CD box of their early radio shows and ad spots), but you cannot compare the Elliots. Different generations. Different styles of comedy. Chris did fine work on the old Letterman show (his bits remain some of the best things ever to appear on Late Night, and set the stage for many similar routines under Conan O'Brien's watch), produced two hilarious specials -- "Action Family" and "FDR: A One Man Show" -- as well as a very strange sitcom, "Get A Life," which featured his father Bob who, of course, played his father. Then there's his film "Cabin Boy," which, alongside Tom Green's "Freddy Got Fingered," is one of the more avant garde pop cult offerings I've seen. Chris Eliot has a small audience, but a devoted one, which I'd think you'd like, Carl. No mass cult pig he.

DP