[lbo-talk] Seven Theses on the Current Period, the War and the Anti-war Movement

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Oct 3 14:29:42 PDT 2004

> Seven theses on the current period, the war and the anti-war movement
> by Gilbert Achcar
> <http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=11&ItemID=6192>
>
> The only major power able to stop the imperial war machine is public
> opinion and its frontline detachments in the anti-war movement.

"Frontline detachments" isn't the best way of talking about civilian resistance.

> The problem this time around is that the frontline anti-war forces
> have seen a decline in activity since the invasion,

Eh? The oiligarchy's minions have been falling like dominoes. Spain: long gone. Poland: about to bolt the tent. Blair: beginning to melt, in that Orthanc-tower of his. The overwhelming majority of the planet is against the war.

I'd also note that there's an extremely ambitious and brainy superpower which happens to be pretty upset with the US oiligarchy, whose future borders (once Turkey joins in 2010 or 2012) will extend from Ireland to... you guessed it... Iraq.

-- DRR