[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sun Oct 3 15:17:35 PDT 2004

Sneering at the great unwashed -- LOL. Carrol believes in inscrutible super-mandarinism, and argues that getting stuck with typewriters wouldn't matter at all to Joe Sixpack. He also then launches this jive at you. Truly amazing case study.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org]On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 1:37 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?

Carrol Cox wrote:

>I wonder what the generation of 2050 will think of this age. Many of us
>spun the dial when the Andrews Sisters came on, but sneering at them is
>no better than Carl sneers at the present. Doug and Carl have the same
>vulgar attitude towards the great unwashed, but with different temporal
>subscripts.
>
>There was no Golden Age from which the current age is a degeneration.
>
>But Doug's version is just Golden-Age nostalgia turned upside down.

Can you stop being an asshole for even just a minute? I wasn't "sneering" at the Andrews Sisters - I was making a joke. I don't think anyone would argue that they were a peak moment in popular culture against which the present represents a substantial decline. That's all. I like Blue Oyster Cult and Motorhead (umlaut omitted for sake of ASCII compatibility), for god's sake. Hell, I even listen to Britney Spears from time to time. That's hardly "sneering" at "the great unwashed."