[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Mon Oct 4 04:30:39 PDT 2004

On Monday, October 4, 2004, at 12:31 AM, Carl Remick wrote:

> Didn't see The Big Lebowski, but if it's any consolation I did hate O
> Brother, Where Art Thou? -- which, like the Coens' Fargo, had a creepy
> way of ridiculing people the film was ostensibly sympathetic to. I
> think of the Coens as representing the perma-smirk school of comedy

Okay, I lied earlier. I'd actually seen a few minutes of both _Blood Simple_ (I don't like violent movies) and _Raising Arizona_, and I did get that vibe from _Raising Arizona_. (Of course, I felt the same way about _Tampopo_, so take it with a grain of salt.)

Perhaps that's why _Intolerable Cruelty_ was so funny--there was exactly one human being in that movie (Lou Pesch, played by Cedric the Entertainer). Everyone else was, for some reasonable definition of the word, scum.

Oh, and it had a happy ending. I liked that, too!

All the best,

John A