[lbo-talk] Out of Iraq

John Bizwas bizwas at lycos.com
Mon Oct 4 04:29:25 PDT 2004

>>Kerry stated that intention very clearly in the
recent debate. I'm not for a moment saying this is a guarantee you can take to the bank. But he certainly did say it clearly: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/01/politics/campaign/01dtext.html

And I think a critical component of success in Iraq is being able to

convince the Iraqis and the Arab world that the United States doesn't

have long-term designs on it. As I understand it we're building some

14 military bases there now. And some people say they've got a rather permanent concept to them. <snip>

I will make a flat statement. The United States of America has no

long-term designs on staying in Iraq.>>

'Flat' is a pretty good word to describe Kerry, but evidently flat is better than 'manic, inattentive, and synatically malformed' (which fits the entire Bush family male line as far as I can tell). Well, if Kerry were as mealy-mouthed and lawyerly minded as Clinton, I suppose he would then say, see the problem was we couldn't convince them (convincingly lie to them, since Bush has no credibility as a convincing liar).

Still, I thought this 'flat' statement was the aspect that stood out the most in Kerry's spiel in the foreign policy debate (well, that, and how many times he said the words 'kill' and 'terrorist' together).

I think the context was he said that the US so far hadn't given a clear timeline on leaving, which makes the Iraqs and Arabs think angrily about permanent occupation. However, Kerry then proceeded NOT to give any clear timeline himself. Rather it all seemed to be coded enough to imply, Vote for me even if you oppose my US-first militarism because I will lead us out of Iraq. But what he said was circumscribed enough as well not to give away CentCom's actual plans for permanent bases in the ME and S. Asia, including, of course, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Do Americans like Kerry consider themselves in charge of a a permanent national security state that occupies Cuba, Japan, Okinawa, S. Korea, Italy, Germany or the UK with designs on those countries? NO, of course not. American troops are quartered in these places because the LOCALS want them for protection (this is what American leaders always say, and many Americans seem to accept it as truth, how convenient, and just go back to not knowing where Guantanamo is, OK?).

In short, it would be nice to hear Kerry say it again in a different context and for him to give a clearer, more specific plan for withdrawal (his current one seems to guarantee it would be an election issue in 2008 were he to be president, how quixotic!).

F -- _______________________________________________ Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10