[lbo-talk] NYC granny doesn't like W

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 4 07:19:43 PDT 2004

New York Post - October 4, 2004

GRANNY IN BUSH WHACK By PERRY CHIARAMONTE and ED ROBINSON

An Upper West Side woman says she was am-Bushed by a cane-wielding 86-year-old woman who apparently isn't fond of the president.

Linda Fuda, 62, told The Post she was waiting in the lobby of a friend's Central Park West building yesterday carrying a Bush/Cheney sign and bumper stickers when Ruth Spitz, who was also in the lobby, suddenly accosted her.

Spitz told her "get out of here with that trash, you don't belong here," Fuda said.

Fuda answered, "It's not your building, it's everyone's building," at which point, she says, Spitz ripped the sign and threw it down.

"I bent down to pick it up, and she hit my backside with her cane and then she tried to push me out the door." Fuda said.

Reached at her apartment last night, Spitz said she'd been in the lobby waiting for her dinner companions and acknowledged asking Fuda to leave.

But she insisted she never hit her with the cane or ripped the sign.

She did say the two political combatants "shoved each other."

"She didn't belong in the building," Spitz said. "She doesn't live here. She was carrying this great big sign, as if she were in a parade.

"I'm 86 years old - I'm sure I'm not capable of hurting anybody," Spitz said.

Fuda, who sells advertising space and who recently registered as a Republican, called cops, even though she wasn't hurt.

She said cops told her to call back today if she wished to pursue the matter.

"I wanted to file a report because someone in her state shouldn't be living alone," she said.

Spitz, a retired college professor, said, "I'm not a Bush supporter," but wouldn't reveal whom she supports.

She added she's not worried about the cops.

"There's nothing I can do about it. I felt she had no business carrying that sign," she said.