[lbo-talk] Out of Iraq

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 11:50:32 PDT 2004

Doug asked:

do we know what Iraqis think today? I haven't heard much on the topic lately.

=========

I neglected to list this as a central consideration in my previous post - typical American-style forgetfulness I suppose.

Of course you're right; the opinions of Iraqis must be foremost. But I wonder, under present conditions, is it possible to gather meaningful national polling data, targeted to answer what is essentially the question 'how do we proceed'?

Ulhas:

Our problem is abstract anti-imperialist posturing without any concern for suffering of Iraqis and their neighbors. We can have a transitional demand that the US is unlikely to accept.

I'm confident you're having an acidic bit of fun here though, given the limitations of the listserv mode of communication (or perhaps, more to the point, my own limitations at this particular moment) I freely acknowledge I may be wrong.

In any event, although it's certain we'll get an ocean's worth of "abstract anti-imperialist posturing" what we need - and I think you'll agree - is a set of demands created from, as Doug reminds us, the wishes of the majority of the Iraqi people and a realistic analysis of the US' policy objectives in Iraq now that it has positioned itself there.

So, the pressure we must (attempt) to place upon the Bush or Kerry administration will only have some semblance of strength if we can say "this is what most Iraqis want" on the one hand while clearly seeing how Washington's wishes conflict.

I mention Washington's desires because it's important to have some idea of how (and why) the American government will try to subvert and work around any mass demands to accomplish its objectives.

I think what I'm advocating (in a still evolving and halting way) is a sort of positional adeptness as opposed to "abstract anti-imperialist posturing" which, although fun for parties and getting dates (at least, in some circles) is a spent non-force.

.d.