[lbo-talk] Obama 'strikes a balance'

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 17:10:48 PDT 2004

Barack Obama shares Kerry's Christian prejudice against gay marriage. Greogry Wonderwheel

>From Chicago Tribune:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/elections/chi-0409250111sep25,0,999197.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Views on gay marriage

Earlier Friday, Obama clarified his position on gay marriage after several days of criticism from Keyes on the issue. Keyes, a vehement opponent of gay marriage who has called homosexuals "selfish hedonists," charged during a campaign swing Downstate this week that Obama favors gay marriage.

But during a taping of WBBM-AM's "At Issue," Obama said that his Christian faith dictates that marriage should be between a man and woman.

"I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman," Obama said.

Obama said he would not let his religious beliefs dictate the way he approaches public policy. He said he would supports civil unions between gay and lesbian couples, as well as letting individual states determine if marriage between gay and lesbian couples should be legalized.

"Giving them a set of basic rights would allow them to experience their relationship and live their lives in a way that doesn't cause discrimination," Obama said. "I think it is the right balance to strike in this society." Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/elections/chi-0409250111sep25,0,999197.story?coll=chi-news-hed