[lbo-talk] Islamofascism and the Left

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Mon Oct 4 18:23:30 PDT 2004

At 6:09 pm -0700 4/10/04, Thomas Seay wrote:
>If you look out into the world, there are only two
>forces that appear to be strong: one is Empire, the
>other is Islamic fundamentalism. I choose not to
>support either of them, but I am not sure that there
>is another force right now that can oppose them
>effectively or break free of their gravity. So perhaps
>Hitchen's choice is understandable. His choices were
>between liberal democracy (or what's left of it),
>islamic fundamentalism, OR impotent and endless
>chatter among the Left. It seems to me that Hitchen's
>decision resulted from his frustration with the
>latter.
>I dont agree with his decision, but I do understand
>it.

Why the slippage from Empire to liberal democracy? Is Empire the defender of liberal democracy? Or is it instead undermining it in those zones of the world which have been liberal democratic -- keeping in mind that most other zones of the world have rarely ever been liberal democratic?

Or does this too count as "impotent and endless chatter among the left"?

kj khoo