[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?/ (An offer you can't refuse)

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 20:48:51 PDT 2004

If anyone finds "The Sopranos" uplifting or otherwise inspirational, I don't want to meet them. The show is well-done, one of TV's better dramas at this time, but I've never gotten the impression that it celebrates gangsterism. Who in their right mind would wanna be around these people in real life?! "Sopranos" gives us a fictional glimpse into a world few of us would ever see or could stand to experience. There pain, misery, death and moral corruption are part of the deal and acknowledged as such (as Lee Strasberg put it in "Godfather II," this is the life they choose to lead). Fascinating to watch, for you know that even worse exists in the real world (start at the government level and work down). But "celebration"? Maybe to those who wish to be gangsters themselves, but not to anyone I know, or would wanna know.

DP