[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?/ Why not the best for theworking class ?

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Oct 4 23:56:29 PDT 2004

Carrol says you get to write what you want, if you've ever heard of a piece of work, even if you've never read or seen it. Yet, he also says not to ever write a sentence that describes a phenomenon that only applies to most, but not all, cases described by your sentence. Rumor is good, but 99 percent explanatory power is inadequate. Golly, I wish I'd gone to ISU!

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 4:50 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?/ Why not the best for theworking class ?

Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Thornton wrote:
>
> >I don't watch "The Sopranos" but is glorifying unbridled unregulated
> >capitalism, which is what organized crime can be seen to be, really
> >the epitome of the Golden Age of TV?
>
> Don't you feel that the first part of that sentence disqualifies you
> from typing the second part?

There is more than enough information about The Sopranos in the air for anyone to make general statements as John has. If someone wrote a counterargument making a great deal of use of specifics from the series, John would not be in a good position to respond to the whole argument, but he still could (accepting the detailed description) argue with the conclusions that defense drew from them.

Your proposition here would simply make 90% of conversation and writing impossible.

I don't particularly agree with John, but it is really stupid to dismiss off hand in this way his grounds for making the statement.

Carrol