[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?/ (An offer you can't refuse)

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Oct 5 06:56:37 PDT 2004

At 09:15 AM 10/5/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Marvin Gandall wrote:
>
>>Actually, anyone who grew up in this kind of immigrant community -- Irish,
>>Italian, Jewish, Greek, etc. -- is likely to consider it a very realistic
>>portrayal of the striving first- and second-generation types who peopled it.
>>I can recognize at least some of my old relatives and friends among the
>>finely-drawn secondary players who form the backdrop in the series.
>
>Yup - and it evokes New Jersey, in all its mundane hilarious glory, like
>nothing I've ever seen. The houses, the hair, the accents, the
>wisecracking, the Jackson Whites....

a real life Tony--minus the violence and murder (more of the mundane loan sharking stuff)--apparently reformed after having been sent to the Fed Pen for ripping of the sales and employment tax system:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/25/earlyshow/series/week_of_wishes/main602156.shtml

I can safely say, though, I didn't like him too much and hated the way he used to scream at his mistress [now wife]. If you watch Sopranos, watch this video. He "courted her" (Yeah, right!)

Details about the rest, off list, if anyone is interested.

"one of the lessons of 1964 that conservatives learned was that it was more important for voters to feel like they were informed than to actually be informed. conservatives now have several places where they can learn this lesson several times a year."

-- ac, the Politics list