[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?/ Why not the best for the working class?

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 5 06:51:25 PDT 2004

>>Carrol says you get to write what you want, if you've ever heard of a piece
>>of work, even if you've never read or seen it.
>I've never seen _The Sopranos_, but I did read an explication of the
>episode where Soprano takes his daughter off to college which argued that
>the episode was slanted in such a way as to make Soprano seem like a
>decent guy. It was a convincing argument and, even if I did have cable, I
>don't think I'd care to watch the show, even aside from the violence.

Ummmm, if memory serves that was the episode where Tony strangles a guy with his bare hands while his daughter is off getting settled at the U. The guy was an old mobster who broke the code of omerta, disappeared and Tony spotted by chance. Anyone who argues that episode makes Tony look like a 'decent guy' has no freakin' clue what they're talking about. It was one of the best dramatizations of the dual nature of his life; the mundane crossed with the horrific.

It's a rich, nuanced, complex and darkly hilarious (like Christopher's intervention episode) show, don't watch if you choose not to, but don't judge it based on erroneous second hand reviews.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo