[lbo-talk] turnout

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 5 12:58:57 PDT 2004

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>The base population Gans uses includes a growing population of
>unnaturalized immigrants and felons who can't legally cast ballots.

The Census Bureau uses the entire adult pop, not just those eligible to vote, as its denominator in turnout. The rationale: even noncitizens and felons have to pay taxes and obey the law. I got into a big fight with the editor of my State of the USA Atlas on this issue back in 1994; with the Census person on my side, I won.

Doug