[lbo-talk] Re: lbo tv guide poll

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue Oct 5 14:44:50 PDT 2004

I read James Harolds essay "A Moral Never-Neverland: Sympathizing with Tony Soprano" and found it unconvincing. He does a good job explaining the differences between the audiences connections with the characters in films like The Godfather or Goodfellows and characters like Tony Soprano but in the end falls back to refuting the idea that watching The Sopranos is not morally wrong. It would have been a better (but different) essay had he chosen to tackle the question of whether is was morally right? Morally neutral? Rather than refuting the obviously false conclusion that it is morally wrong. More interesting perhaps would be tackling the idea that watching The Sopranos as an isolated event is certainly not harmful but when taken within the context of other factors it might be.

John Thornton