[lbo-talk] in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos'

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 20:57:30 PDT 2004

Sure, but we don't have to agree with the morals for it to be good art. The Illiad holds up an ideal that we find repugnant. The Divine Comedy is based in premises most of us reject. Actually, really good didactic art is hard to find. Brecht comes to mind as the exception. Mostly preachy stuff is just a bore. What makes art interesting in part is that it shows you things and raises questions and possibilities that you might not have contemplated, which you might reject after getting a sense of them, but which it makes live for you. The point of Hamlet is not the dull slogan Revenge Is Bad, but the exploration of what it is like to be those people, driven as they are. No? jks

--- > I could be wrong, but I think most good dramatic