[lbo-talk] in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos'

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 08:38:50 PDT 2004

Oh, I don't dispute that great art can be politically regressive and have bad effects. Take the Illiad --a celebration of violence, hierarchy, brutality, lust for revenge and renoun, macho physical bravado, denigration of women -- it has almost no progressive content. By mining it here and there you can see ambivalence, like references to hateful Ares and the like, but in the main insofar as it has any mass audience its effect is liable to be entirely anti-liberal and counter revolutionary. Apart from the lack of religious dogmatism, the Illiad is a poem for George Bush.

My only point is that its bad political content is entirely irrelevant to its status as good or bad art. Whether it is good art turns on its subtlety, complexity, emotional power and range, aesthetic beauty in terms of mastery of the medium, etc. All of these are consistent with the work being apologetics for evil. The Illiad certainly is. So is Birth of a Nation or Triumph of the Will. Those arelesser masterpieces, but very great. So, yes, I do get it. I just don't think art reduces to progressive politics.

On the other side, the world is full of earnestly dull politically correct stuff with good messages that are artistic failures. The work of Toni Morrison comes to my mind.

jks