[lbo-talk] in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos'

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 6 08:59:57 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>But you are not alone - many genuinely
>progressive people, including our fearless guru Doug the New Economy Slayer
>Henwood and hip hop fans, fall into the same trap.

Call me reactionary or old-fashioned, but I don't think the mission of art, or even entertainment, is to promote progressive values. Wallace Stevens wrote beautiful poetry, but he could also celebrate the killing of Communists in Korea in a letter. Nietzsche is lots of fun to read, but one wouldn't want to set social policy based on his philosophy. I even like the sound of Skrewdriver.

Actually my office neighbor, Larry Konner, wrote a few episodes of The Sopranos. I'll step next door sometime and chat him up about this.

Doug